Saturday, September 26, 2009

Big Change for Our Family


Yesterday our son, Stephen, celebrated his 25th birthday. We went to Gainesville today to take him to lunch. He has been living there for the last 10 months, working in a men's homeless shelter, active in his Sunday School class, praying and deciding what he should do next while working a part-time job and being near friends that he was very close to in college at University of Georgia. He broke the news to us as our salads were brought to the table at Longhorn. "Well, I've got some news. Sometime in the next 4 weeks I'm moving to Denver. Going to live with friends, look for a job and an apartment."
We were stunned and yet not so stunned. I've known that this would eventually happen since he loves the west so much. He's made three road trips out west in the last year and one of his best friends lives in Denver. There will be much more opportunity there he feels and he is very happy with the decision. I asked him if he had permission from the Lord for this and he said yes. He's been praying about it and thinking about it for some time now. We are happy for him, yet prayerful, knowing this will be a growing time in his life, an adventure, too...after all, he's young, single, finished college, ready for a more permanent situation. I pray it works out for him and I pray for us, his family, as we learn to cope with a very long-distance relationship with our son.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

WOW...I know this is going to be an interesting journey for all of you. I have already prayed and will continue to do so. WOW..life has some interesting twists and turns, doesn't it?
I love you!!!

Angela said...

Oh Bambi, I will be praying for you guys. I know that is so hard! How wonderful that you can support him in what will be an exciting time in his life. I wish him all the best, and pray he finds what will make him happy. Those first few years after college were very difficult for me as I struggled to find my place in the world. You've obviously raised a brave and bold son to take such a step in his life! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bambi....just curious if you were able to finish your lunch!!! I know this must have been quite a shock to all of you and will be an adjustment. I think it is very exciting that Stephen has chosen to make this journey in his life and has the confidence to do so. I have always told my kids to go and see other parts of the world while you are young and fully expect this from John!! I am certain this will be the start of building great memories for Stephen...looks like you and John will be taking another road trip sooner than you might have thought!! Take care, Dana

Katie Reeder said...

Bambi -- What a change! I will be praying for your entire family. What an exciting adventure. Sometimes God allows us to learn and grow the most through bold, scary decisions. You are all in my prayers!