Sunday, September 20, 2009

Purple Mountain Majesties


John and I will celebrate 30 years of marriage in December. We have been in a rut lately and decided to get out of our "comfort zone" and take a road trip. We left Georgia on Friday, September 11 and, after driving through Tennessee, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming, we arrived in Teton Village near Grand Teton National Park in northwest Wyoming. I wish that I'd counted how many times I said the word "WOW". I have never seen such breathtaking scenery as in that park. There is no picture that can really show the magnificence of the "purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain". We spent every day we could in the park and made a side trip over to Yellowstone. That was a wonderful day also but cannot compare in my mind to the beauty of the Tetons.
We saw buffalo, elk, antelope, deer, moose, and even tiny chipmunks. We enjoyed the smell of the sagebrush, the forested areas of the park, and even hiked a 3 mile trail to a hidden lake. Our last night there we went into the forest and parked on a "turnout" after dark and listened through the open windows of our car. Within a few minutes we heard elk calling out, guarding their territory. There were three who were challenging each other and they were very close to our car. An eerie experience but I'll never forget it.
John and I had a wonderful time together, our companionship renewed after all these years with work, school, children. We haven't been on a trip together by ourselves in many years and, guess what?? We had lots to talk about and even had moments of talking about things other than our children and grandchild! :)
I am grateful to God for my husband and our marriage. There have been some tough and interesting times but many adventures also.


1 comment:

Helen said...

So glad that you and John had the opportunity to make this trip! I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures as you get the time to share.