Sunday, August 2, 2009

John and Me



Thirty, 30, yes, THIRTY years ago this week John and I were formally engaged. Our wedding was planned for December. So, yes, this is our big anniversary year. Amazing.
I met John the very first day of my freshman year in college at Truett-McConnell in Cleveland, Georgia. We were at the first chapel meeting of the year. He became a friend quickly...at the time I was dating another boy. We'd been dating for about 2 years. That relationship ended around Christmas of that year and John and I picked up our friendship. I was quite fascinated with him. He was very easy to talk to, pretty cute, too! He spoke Spanish fluently and was just night and day different from me. He was a fairly recent Christian whereas I'd been a believer since age 10. He had a Cuban mother and was from Miami. I was a born and bred Atlanta girl. We began dating in September of 1977, broke up in July 1978, and then I came to my senses in April, 1979, after dating several guys that were either heart-breakers, boring, or crazy. I called John and told him I wanted him back. He proceeded to tell me that Jesus was first in his life and he'd have to pray about it. HA! Well, I really was glad about that though. Anyway, we did begin seeing each other again and quickly decided we would get married. We'd had enough of "dating around". So here we are, celebrating 30 years this December. Never boring! My true love!

2 comments:

Erin said...

awww so sweet :) and yes, in your picture, y'all still look the same...amazing!

Helen said...

Sweet story. God doesn't make mistakes so no surprise that you are about to make 30 years. Congratulations and blessings on you and many more years together!