Monday, September 20, 2010

Baba, Company, Big Sister Maddie, and More (or One Tired Gmommy)

I will write my experience of my little grandson's birth after my daughter writes it from her perspective.  That may be a long time since all she is doing right now is breastfeeding, sleeping, eating, changing diapers on two babies, and trying to keep Maddie from poking her brother's eye out.

I have been bonding heavily (sigh) with my granddaughter since last Friday when she woke me at 5:00 a.m. after I'd gotten to bed at 1:30.  I was hyped, putting up pictures online, etc. after the elation of seeing my grandson born just a few hours before midnight and after a long worrisome day.  And there the little redhead was, ready to eat a "waffa" and "appa" juice.  Then we rested on the couch and she went back to sleep for an hour and a half. I wanted to put her down but was afraid to so I lived with the crick in my neck and her sweaty head on my chest. Sweet!  We got up finally and got ready to go to the hospital to see mama and "baba" and dadda.  We got in the shower together but not before I spent a few minutes chasing her around naked. Yes, I was naked as was she! She was having a blast trying to avoid the shower. This day reminded me why God gives babies to 20-somethings and not 50-somethings.  Finally got ready and on the road for the hospital.  I had neglected to bring a hair dryer so I rolled the windows all the way down, turned up the radio and sped down the highway as Maddie yelled at the top of her lungs at everything she saw on the way.

 At the hospital she was not impressed with her "baba" at first.  She was more concerned with her mama.  After a little time though she warmed up and gave him a little kiss on the head.  After a few hours we headed back home for supper and bedtime and waited on the parents to be discharged from the hospital.  My hubby and I drove home late and fell into the bed exhausted.

Sunday, we had several visitors. I love these after-childbirth visitors. Some come with mini-cheesecakes like Brad's sweet cousin, Mary.  I was there helping my daughter again as her hubby had to be at church running the sound board for the services.  Our very dear friend, Cheryl, came bearing gifts.  Indeed one gift for Maddie was a cute little Halloween Bear that had a hood and shirt. The problem was the shirt doesn't come off. Maddie cried and cried wanting that shirt off and that hood off. (can you say OCD).  We finally distracted her and headed upstairs to play in her new ball pit/trampoline that her daddy bought as a great big sister gift. During the afternoon, we had several little mishaps and Cheryl claims that she will never be welcome at their home again. But really it was quite a distraction and hilarious.  Wherever my friend goes, something happens. She's just one of those people who lights up a room and leaves everybody laughing.  Poor Maddie fell on Cheryl's shoe and broke open a sore place on her own foot, leaving blood on the carpet.  This was after being upset about the bear.  I was so tired I forgot to close the stair gate and we almost had a disaster. And, by the way, I can move fast for a 52 year old woman when I have to!  I won't go into all the rest but it was a fun afternoon for me.  My daughter just sat quietly downstairs in the living room nursing the baby and wondering what was being done to her daughter with the various noises, bumps, screams, etc, going on. But, hey, at least she had some down time!

Seriously, though, the big sister is adjusting well. She's a tad whiny and clingy but that's to be expected with a new baby, company in and out and the everpresent grandmommy telling her what to do.  She loves to hold her brother and she's very sweet but she also prides herself  in naming body parts and "EYES" are a favorite. She happily pokes Baba in the eye to prove she knows what's what!

Here are some pics from the last few days:
I love this picture of my boy.  He was awake at midnight ready to eat.

Yeah, kid, I've about had it with you. Into the pit you go!

Her expression is pretty much the way it is since the baba came.

Love Mrs. Cheryl!

Ms. Cheryl, you're a lot more fun than my grandmommy!

TIRED of posing!

Oh okay.  Pretty Pic!


4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I am about to fall OUT OF MY CHAIR!!! That was absolutely hysterical!!!! Thank you for giving me visuals of the shower thing. hahahaha!!!! I am wheezing about now! Hey, am I still welcomed there?..please tell them I will be a good girl and will leave my shoes outside!!!!
I love you Bambam...YOU my friend are a highlight!!!! Thank you for adding so much to my days and sharing your precious family with me. They are absolutely adorable!!

Jennifer J. Lynch said...

Very funny and oh so true. Those red heads are busy, busy girls! So excited that Landon arrived safe and sound and to hear mom is doing well.

Linda.B said...

Bambi, I have so many visual pictures in my mind. Being a grandmother sounds like hard work! My Joe has some grandchildren but I am looking forward to my own. I think I better start getting into shape. I don't know if I could beat a 2 year old in a race to the child gate.

Anyway, I think I have some time yet. I loved the pictures. The ball pit looks really fun.

Congratulations to everyone!

Margie and Ron said...

This is GREAT! Thanks for the laughs! I can picture it all! We have 6 GRANDS now, and they are so much fun. Don't get to see them near as much as I would like, but I do identify with what you said. I come home happy in my heart, but thoroughly exhausted!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Love and miss you! Sure hope our paths will cross again some day!