Friday, November 6, 2009

I Heard the Bells...



A little early I know but this is one of my favorite Christmas songs. Our choir is doing the "Casting Crowns" version this year and it just fit with my devotional time this morning as I studied His word and one of Beth Moore's books.
The words to the song are:

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play
And mild and sweet their songs repeat
Of peace on earth good will to men

And the bells are ringing
Like a choir they're singing
In my heart I hear them
Peace on earth, good will to men

And in despair I bowed my head
There is no peace on earth I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men

But the bells are ringing
Like a choir singing
Does anybody hear them?
Peace on earth, good will to men

Then rang the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail

With peace on earth, good will to men

Then ringing singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men

And the bells they're ringing
Like a choir they're singing
And with our hearts we'll hear them
Peace on earth, good will to men


I especially love the verse "God is not dead, not doth He sleep". Such a comforting and victorious thought! We are, according to Moore's study, living in the end times. She states six signs including "1)Christians will long for Christ's return before the world ever sees it. 2)Many will come claiming to be Christ. 3)The world will display dramatic increases in depravity. 4)The latter days will show a notable increase in violence and cataclysmic events. 5)The worldwide witness of the gospel of Jesus Christ will increase. 6)The activity of the Holy Spirit will increase."

Number 5 is very meaningful to me. I was privileged to serve as a missionary with the International Mission Board from 1986-1995 in Guatemala. We saw the Bible translated into a language that had never had the written WORD before. (Wycliffe translaters did this). My husband went out to groups of people who had never heard of the United States much less Jesus. Right now I see that even though our country is seemingly godless with the administration in charge and there is much violence and depravity, God is still blessing America. Simply because we are sending thousands of missionaries to places that have never heard. Jesus will not come back until "The gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come" Matthew 24:14.

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep. The wrong shall fail, the right prevail with that FINAL peace of a new heaven and a new earth and satan defeated.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I've so enjoyed your past two posts! I love that Christmas carol too, but had never sat down and really read the words. Lovely and inspirational posts, thanks for sharing with us!