Thursday, November 19, 2009

Life as a Music Ministry Assistant



Just for the heck of it I’ll describe my life as a music ministry assistant. I am very blessed to have my particular job. Probably many people might wonder how in the world the position of music minister’s assistant could be a full-time job. It’s a job that involves a minister of music, 127 active choir members, a middle school choir, a senior adult choir, a minister of instrumental music and orchestra, a media director, many co-workers, a church membership that has definite opinions on the music they like/dislike, technology, paperwork, library, printing/advertising, tidying up, cataloging, decorating, undecorating, ordering food for choir gatherings.

I reserve facilities,enjoy planning short trips, taking money for various projects, fitting choir members’ outfits, ordering those outfits, ordering music, publishing newsletters, proof orders of service, answer phones, and emails. I make sure we have 2200 candles for the Christmas Eve candlelight service counted and ready to give out, am responsible for scheduling Senior Adult choir outings at nursing homes, setting up rooms for choirs, do computer work to put lyrics on screens in the Worship Center for the congregation and for the singers, soloists, and narrators for every Sunday service and special events, schedule soloists and ensembles a month ahead, and keep track of all the choir members’ birthdays.

You add the proofing of texts and programs, the interruptions, the keeping track of the boss’ schedule, the sick folks who need hospital visits, who need TLC for their various troubles, family crises, the personality differences of all those I work with, the expectations, the assumptions and demands and you have quite the workload.

I enjoy the seasonal schedule immensely. We are always preparing ahead. We begin work on Christmas in the month of August, Easter in the month of January, Patriotic starts in April. I can tell you the date of every Sunday in the year in a matter of seconds. As we say in the Music Office, it is always Wednesday or Sunday…it certainly seems that way. It’s a varied job, never a dull moment, has hilarious mornings, testy afternoons, involves me with both wonderful and challenging people and most importantly, is something I do “as unto the Lord”. That keeps it all in perspective. I’m very thankful for my job. You know you've got a great job when you don't dread Sunday nights!! Monday's ahead and I am happy to see it come.

1 comment:

Erin said...

That's pretty amazing...I don't envy you! You're my hero...haha.