Saturday, December 5, 2009

Christmas Colors




"Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childhood days, recall to the old man
the pleasures of his youth, and transport the traveler back to his own fireside and quiet home!"

- Charles Dickens

As I'm in the midst of all the Christmas parties, preparations, and special concerts at church, I'm trying to remember some of my childhood Christmases. Maybe having a granddaughter now makes me tend to think back and it really is quite bittersweet when I think of all the time that's passed and how old my parents are, how old I am, and that my own children are in their early to mid-twenties.

One of the first memories I have of Christmas as a child is the beautiful aluminum Christmas tree with the color wheel that was so popular in the early 60s. Wow...that was fascinating to me. I remember just sitting in our living room and watching as the colors passed every few seconds from red to green to blue...was pink in there somewhere also?

Another very distinct memory I have took place on Christmas Eve. All the cousins were outside as we were telling each other good-bye after a special supper and gifts. It was very cold outside and the sky was clear with thousands of stars visible. My uncle pointed out a light that seemed to be flashing and slowly moving across the sky. He urged us to get home and get in bed as Santa was on his way. I remember staring out the car window all the way home hoping we'd make it in time.

I feel very blessed to have had some wonderful childhood Christmases even if I can't remember all of them. My feeling of anticipation and peace at this time of year comes from the traditions and family times of my childhood. Every Christmas Eve one of the cousins recited from memory the story of Jesus' birth in Luke 2. That always happened before we could open our presents. Jesus is the most precious gift of all.


2 comments:

Angela said...

Oh my goodness, Grandmother and Bip have that color wheel! I thought it was the best thing in the world when I was little. There are no Christmas Eve's like Carlisle family Christmas Eve's!

Helen said...

Hey Bambi,
What great memories! We also had the aluminum tree (for a couple of years) and I remember how beautiful it was to have all of the lights off in the living room except for the color wheel on the tree. Precious memories; thanks for sharing yours and for sparking mine.