Friday, August 27, 2010

I'm 32 Years Old! (At Least I Feel That Way Most Days)

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" ~ Satchel Paige

 I read that question in a magazine article the other day.  Made me start thinking.  Sometimes I make too much of the fact I'm 52 and feeling "old"!  But actually, when I'm away from the mirror and just going about my business from day to day at work, home, church, with family, etc., I feel like I've always felt. I am young and happy and life is wonderful and seemingly will go on for years just like this. 

Kind of like I felt when I was around 32 years old.  I had a 6 year old and a 4 year old and plenty of energy and looked toward the future with much anticipation and joy.  I honestly still feel that way except for the fact that I'm now a grandmother.  My parents still seem the same as they have for years, my siblings also.  Days pass quickly, good ones, bad ones.  Holidays come around year after year and everything seems the same.  UNTIL I see photos.  Wow! That's when it hits me. Age is creeping up on me. I look in the mirror and there is silver (not gray) in my hair...just as if it had highlights, HA! I look at the photos and see wrinkles, saggy skin, and eyes that look like I never slept the night before!  I look at my children and see my 26 year old son with the beard and not the little blonde boy who talked incessantly in a high-pitched voice, delighted with the world.  I see my 24 year old beautiful daughter, 9 months pregnant, her little girl perched on her hip...not the little mischievous brown-eyed blonde who loved to play outside with her brother and carried around a stuffed pink kitty (her "dink ditty dat").

I wouldn't go back though.  I love my life now as I did then. I love this "season" I'm in.  I'll be in this one for a while I think.  But deep inside I'm still a 32 year old redhead, slimmer, a young mother in my "prime", walking with the Lord.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Well said Bambi! I feel the same way most days, I am seven years ahead of you though. Keep sharing your thoughts and your heart, it speaks to mine. I hope to see you tomorrow at church. Love you!

Linda.B said...

I agree this is a great season. I am waiting and may have a long wait for grandchildren to complete my season! But I am OK with that. I had my hip replaced a couple of months ago and that really made me feel old. But, I have recovered well and hope to get over having a limp when I walk! I love the adults that my kids have become. It is amazing. God has been so good to me.