Tuesday, April 5, 2011

They Called It a Near Miss... (another writing assignment)

They called it a near miss but I called it a miracle from God.

"Keith's been shot!" Penny spoke breathlessly. "They had to do surgery but he's okay!  He was driving home from a church service and two people stepped out of the bushes and tried to stop him and then shot at him as he tried to drive on by."

Penny and Keith were my co-workers in Guatemala.  We were all missionaries whose work was planting churches, overseeing medical and construction teams from the States and living and working among the indigenous people there in Central America.  The crime she described was common.  Someone would flag you down on a deserted road, acting as if there was an emergency.  Then they'd rob you or worse.  Keith knew it was a trap and kept driving.  The bullet hit his right shoulder.  He could not move his shoulder nor his arm and he had miles to go to the nearest town and was driving a stick-shift.

"How'd he get to safety, Penny?" I asked, amazed. 
"We don't know.  He could not shift, could not move his arm and was in terrible pain but he somehow drove through miles of mountain roads without having to shift.  I think we know an angel or the Lord Himself was driving that car."

After we hung up, I sat quietly. I was happy but yet totally in awe of my God and His protection.
When I look back on all my experiences there in Guatemala, that one comes to mind as the most dramatic rescue.  Such a reassuring feeling that He does not sleep.


1 comment:

Linda.B said...

I loved your writing assignment. I never knew of the story of what happened to Keith when he was shot. I remember many times I rode in Penny and Keith's little stick shift car they had when they were in seminary. I am so thankful Keith is still here.