Saturday, November 20, 2010

Adventures in Babysitting

Our "adventures" aren't exactly wild and woolly but they did make today pass quickly!  Our gbabies' parents wanted to see the new Harry Potter movie today so we agreed to "sit".  I mean, really. That word makes no sense.  When you have a 20-month-old toddler who is as cute, active, energetic and smart as Madison, you do not sit. You chase, you grab, you haul the little redhead up on your hip, you trick her into eating, keep her from coloring the coffee table all while trying to give equal time to the two-month-old baby boy.

I have to admit that I enjoy being a grandmommy who spoils.  For lunch, I got her to eat a little White Castle burger (with onions!!) and she was just sooo thirsty that I had to give her some Coke.  She didn't want that ol' healthful apple juice or milk.  She also ate a doughnut for dessert.  I'm trying to teach her some of my own obsessions!  We spent time reading, coloring, playing outside in the leaves, watching squirrels, picking up sticks, and sitting outside on the steps watching the ah-panes go by way up in the sky.  Maddie's two new favorite words now are "ME" and "NO".  Everything and everybody belongs to her therefore the constant "me".  She is not using the "NO" in a disobedient way yet...she just very politely says it as the answer to almost every question.

Little Landon is a chunk to say the least and therefore all we worried about him today was whether he would take a bottle while mommy was away for 4 hours.  I did succeed.  But it was quite hilarious.  That child cried, coughed, spit, choked, gagged, and made terrible faces as I tortured him with that bottle.  He wanted the "real" thing, if you know what I mean! But we finally did have success...baby happy and smiling and cooing and me relaxed and not worried about a baby meltdown while waiting on the mama.

A few moments of actual baby-"sitting"!

This is what Landon looked like when I tried to force the bottle. (I got this pic from Erin)

Happy boy when he has a full tummy.

This girl has some serious entertainment and distractions!
   




So back home to the quiet house of the empty-nesters.  It's quiet, yes, a little boring, yes. I've taken the Motrin I need after hauling babies around.  But I am so privileged to have two healthy, sweet grandchildren that I can see whenever I like.  I am feeling "Thanksgiving" to my Lord tonight.




1 comment:

Linda.B said...

Sounds like the best afternoon ever! My niece surprised us tonight by telling us she was pregnant. I can't wait to have my own g'babies. I want red headed ones too!