Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Funny Book for "Memies"



I was cleaning my shelves yesterday in an effort to get my mind off the"office withdrawal" that I was going through.  I'm not accustomed to being off work for a solid week and it's a little weird.  So I decided I'd do something constructive with my free time.

 I found a book someone had given me a few years ago before Maddie was born.  It's called Funny, You Don't Look Like a Grandmother by Lois Wyse.  I read it in a few hours and got some laughs from it since now I'm an experienced grandmother of two...(well, only 20 months of experience but it counts).
Here are a few bits of wisdom I picked up:

 1.  "A mother becomes a true grandmother the day she stops noticing the terrible things her children do because she is so enchanted with the wonderful things her grandchildren do."  (Not that MY children ever do anything terrible but it is nice to switch the focus!)

2.  When you find out the grandchild is on the way, you will not be asked what to name the baby....you will be asked what you will name yourself for the baby!  (I agonized over this a good deal and came up with "Grandmommy"...which has become "Memie".  Love it!)

 3.  What do you give a grandmother?  Not gift certificates but handmade pictures signed by the "artist", latest photo of the most precious grandchild, a weed or flower picked by the MPG, telephone call by the MPG, etc. ( I do look forward to those pictures, cards, cookies, etc, made for me by Maddie and Landon, the MPG ever).

 4.  The difference between parents and grandparents is that grandparents can afford to break the rules because we don't make them.  (Like Dr.Pepper and chips for lunch?)

 5.  "Grandmotherhood does not give us the right to speak without thinking, but only the right to think without speaking." (Hmm...I admit I'm still working on this one.)

 6.  Being a grandmother just means having a good time! (self-explanatory and worth the dose of ibuprofen later in the day)


No comments: